PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1989- Pilots dispute 19 years on
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2008, 12:30
twodogsflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of us who where part of 89 will never forget and I will never forgive as well.

I have got on with life and continue in my chosen career.

Much has been said and participants try to justify their action, but for all of those reading this, just think of the following:

1. In the middle of 1991 well after the memorable 1st party at Frankfurt, 23 Ozzies where offered permanent jobs with Swissair. 40 had started as contract pilots. Something like 11 accepted and Swissair went away to finalise their employment. The company came back to them 2 weeks later and said they could not be employed as all their names where on Interpol as Political Dissidents, a hanging offense in most countries around the world. The Hawke labour government had put all our names on interpol as political dissidents shortly after we all resigned. We where working and flying in many countries around the world during this time.

2. On December 20th 1991 Compass mk1 stopped flying. The aircraft where ceased and the airline grounded. Much as been said of this as well and what does it have to do with 89? Well, the night the aircraft where ceased, it was done by TNT security guards by the authority of the Hawke Labour Government for unpaid Navigation charges. December 20th 1991 was also the date that Paul Keating rolled Hawke and took over the Lodge. This was Hawkes last act as PM to carry out the fat mans wishes.

On another note, the "List" exists and as stated before, all that are on it are only there by their own actions. In my dealings with anyone in the industry I do not know in a position of power, (CASA) I check the list. I do this so I know what I am dealing with, information is knowledge. You would be surprised who is turning up at CASA and how many of them!

Also, get a hold of "Australian Aviation" from 1980, the one where they interviewed Ables just after his take over of Ansett. I only came across this after the dispute in an Aeroclub. Too bad we did not read it before 89. Albes outlines his plans for the airline and a time line for it all to happen and it did, exactly as he predicted 9 years earlier with uncanny accuracy.

Sui Generis

PS. Hawke said where where nothing but Glorified Bus Drivers. Well in one sense he was correct. In the middle of 1990, a number of us where working in a small country in Europe. Just after we arrived, the pilots told us they where going to have a dispute with the management. We all thought "oh no not again", we should go along a tell them how not to do it. The interesting thing was the pilots where all members of the countries Bus Drivers Union. We had a laugh over that one, Hawke was right all along!