PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very late go-around at Geneva
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2002, 15:16
Doors to Automatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Very late go-around at Geneva

I was a passenger on easyJet flight 904 yesterday (24/1) from Luton to Geneva. We set up for an approach to Runway 05 and everything appeared completely normal in reasonable weather conditions. We crossed the runway threshold seemingly perfectly set up for landing.

Then, at a point which I would estimate as being about 100-200m past the threshold and a height of no greater than 30 feet (possibly less)there was a very sudden application of power and we went around.

There was no announcement after this incident and both myself and my colleague spent the next few minutes trying to reassure some very nervous passengers around us that there was nothing to worry about.

After about 10 minutes the captain came on and said that we couldn't land because the cabin was not secure for landing.

I have been in two go-arounds before from decision height (which I assume is 100 feet). On both previous occasions the whole procedure was conducted smoothly from a greater altitude and an announcement was made almost immediately.

My questions are therefore

1. If the cabin was indeed not secured why was the decision to go around carried out at literally the last moment before touchdown? Is this part of the easyJet SOP?

2. Why was the announcement not made sooner?

3. Can anyone shed any further light on the incident.

Despite being a regular flyer and knowing a lot about what is going on I still found this incident a little disconcerting and I would very much appreciate any comments or insights that anyone may be able to share. Thanks in advance.