PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach sequencing at LGW
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2001, 22:29
BOAC

Post Approach sequencing at LGW

Approach sequencing at LGW

This one is for the LGW approach/director controllers and the 'drivers'. I tried floating this through my company a while ago but with no response, so its time to see what pprune can make of it!

When LGW starts to get busy and aircraft are holding, it is not uncommon to be taken off the hold and given extended vectoring, with speed control, round to the final approach. This can vary between 30 and 80 miles and the biggest variation I have seen in fuel used from the hold in a 737 is between 300 and 800 kgs (the famous 'Tonbridge Wells 1' arrival!). Added to the track miles are the speed requests for sequencing which result in flap extension (more fuel) and sometimes (737) gear down from as far out as 14 miles. In this situation, fuel is rapidly becoming the main focal point in the cockpit, and it is useful to be able to plan how much will be used from the hold in assessing the diversion decision.

Where does everyone stand on this?

Would the drivers prefer, like me, to stay in the hold for one more turn, and then get a slick, 10 mile final after, say, 30 track miles with few speed requests? Diversion from 7000' in the hold is a lot easier too!

How easy would it be for the controllers to adjust the procedures to allow this?