PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 12th Jun 2008, 11:17
Machine Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep the Faith!

Treeshaver - Don't you dare give up!!!
You are young, have qualifications you can use if you stay current!
Staying current is the key.

I started on the rocky road in 2000 aged 35. I hit the integrated schools just before Sept 11th! I got lucky in mid-2005. First turbo-props for 18 months then onto the 737. Been there ever since and trust me - it's worth the sh*t you go through to get there.

But, if you think it's going to be a smooth ride, you're in for a shock.
There are a few lucky people out there with golden balls who sail through it and end up in a top job - not my experience.

My success came from one decision and one action (oh and being a bit patient). I guarantee you they work and you will have heard them many times before:

1. GET AN INSTRUCTORS RATING. The only way to keep in current flying practice and rack up those important hours. I instructed part-time for nearly three years. Never got paid for it, instead taking payment by accepting flying hours for me to take the girlfriend out to lunch all over England (gotta keep her on side). Absolutley knackering whilst holding a full-time job, but loved every minute of it. You will meet people in the industry, keep current and get good handling skills. It may cost £6k but is worth every single penny!!!

2. NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK.....NETWORK (I think you get the idea ). I knew no-one and nothing when I got into this game. I now have friends in just about every airline in the uk. You will too if you instruct. Friends and acquaintances (did I spell that right?) will be only too glad to help - because we've all struggled at some point and know what it's like.
Do not pi*s people off, always be polite, help others if you can and it will be returned to you manyfold!

It's true, the fuel issue may lead us all in to dark times - not just in aviation. I have 2200 TT including 750 turbo-prop and 750 jet - I am wondering what the future holds for me. If I get laid off, I can tell you what I will be doing: NUMBERS 1+2 ABOVE!

Aviation is a tough industry, but even if I have to go back to my old job for a while, I won't regret having done it all. And remember things can turnaround in an instant in aviation. If you ain't current and ain't ready when your one chance comes - you only have yourself to blame. Harsh but true. ALL the people I trained with (and got through that Sept 11th period) are all now flying jets and earning good dosh.

QUIT AND YOU WILL BE MISSING OUT!
KEEP THE FAITH BROTHER - IT WILL COME TO YOU IF YOU DO!