PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA integrity?
Thread: CASA integrity?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2008, 09:06
Ando1Bar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An administrative body, such as CASA, has certain powers given to it under the legislation and some of those powers include the authority to make a decision on certain matters. Note, the power is to make a decision, yes or no. It is not a power to sit on it's fat nether regions and not make a decision at all.
While it's good to see Dick take the fight to CASA to make some decisions, is this really the right topic to argue?

My research may be lacking, but after reading the threads within pprune and Dick's website I cannot see whether he consulted with anyone else within the industry.

I have witnessed a number of base joins at non-towered aerodromes I can only say they caused confusion and increased the risk for collision. My base join in a C172 will be in a different position to a Tecnam, Baron, Tigermoth or C208. However, if they all join a long final there will be more consistency. If they join crosswind they will all join in a similar position. Same with the 45 deg downwind.

As a flying instructor, my second issue with base joins is they occur at a time when the pilot (or low-hour, possibly solo student) is very pre-occupied with power/flap/configuration settings, not to mention the pitch/roll changes that cause momentary blind-spots.

GAAP base joins are different because ATC provide me and others with traffic advice.

Maybe I'm a little thick, but why can't you manoeuvre to join the downwind leg?

They are my reasons for opposing the base join. However, I have an open mind and am open to suggestions. Just because they do it in the US isn't the reason I'm looking for.