PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA integrity?
Thread: CASA integrity?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2008, 06:18
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
DickyPearse, you ask:

for what operational reason have you sought the dispensation that would allow you to be treated differently to all other users?
Note that my request for a dispensation was actually for all aircraft. My solicitor’s letter to CASA dated 23 May 2008 (see here) states:

Our client wishes to emphasise that the approval he seeks should be extended to all aircraft for safety reasons and that he does not make the application purely for his own benefit.
Isn’t it interesting that if you want to fly into Bankstown from 2RN, the air traffic controllers will readily give you a straight in approach from Warwick Farm? No, that is not 5 miles, it is a little over 2 miles, but the controllers have decided that is the safest thing to do. The same thing happens at all tower airports.

However if you or I fly to a private country strip out near Coonabarabran, we cannot make a decision to join directly on base or to do less than a 5 mile final for a straight-in approach. In effect, the rules state that air traffic controllers know more than the pilot in relation to the safety of the aircraft.