PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of OAA's Employment Statistics
Old 11th Jun 2008, 21:09
Kempus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good on the guys who finished OAA and went to FR. Yeah maybe it wasn't what they expected when they first signed up but hell they are flying and there's a hell of a good chance they will still be employed "term used loosely" in 2yrs!

I do think some of OAA emplyment statistics are off and should also include an indication of when that person graduated. I personally know people that graduated early 2007 and they have got jobs recently and have been included in this years stats. Also as stated in another post/thread they do put up some names pre sim check/TR in which that person has been unsucessful and dropped. Then again there are others who do not tell them they get a job and these numbers are more likely greater than the amount that get chopped.

Now just to add something alot of you wont like.

The amount of people gaining an fATPL verus the amount of people going to a major and getting their type rating paid either integrated or modular are very small.

Those not willing to pay for a type rating are going to find it very very very difficult to find that first job in the next 2yrs! FR will screw you over for the first 6 months and then your earning more than a BA cadet FO who is on a reduced salary until year 5! The difference adds up to the around the same as FR screwed you over intially!

I can understand how hard it is to get the additional finances to pay for a type rating but if you'd paid so much its worth that extra to get that foot in the door!

Also flying turbo props dosen't always make you a better pilot as flying a slippy jet compared to a draggy prop requires different skills. I handfly my jet as much as pos with the flight directors off and so use the same skills as my TP friends and hell even the same skills of those pre IR! Unless of course you do CATIII landings all the time in your jet your a lazy sod!

Dont turn down anyjobs regardless of TP or Jet, in the current climate you'd be silly too! Added to this, in this CURRENT climate, keep your job and go modular but go to a good school and yes OAA is a good school!

Kempus

ps This post may be all over the place as been watchin the apprentice and now watching girls of the play mansion so apologies!