PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT II vs Engine Failure
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2008, 13:49
sixfeetabove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the answers!

2 Engine Aircraft, no autoland, 2 axis autopilot

Your question raises more questions. You say your Standard Operating Procedures dictate what you should do, but you are saying that you don't know what to do regarding an engine failure during an approach? I find this very hard to believe.
Our SOP does tell us! But, it dictates us only that for any abnormality all C/L items must be completed prior 800 AGL.

No problem if you just passed the FAF, if you are in landing config, fully established - you have time to run a quick C/L and get things sorted before 800 AGL.

But the question is what if the engine fails after 800 AGL...? In your answers I can read that you would continue. That is also what I think would be best.

You indicate any instrument failures, but clearly during an approach to minimums a failure of the clock on a precision approach would not constitute cause to go around. Failure of the clock during an approach in which the timing is the sole means of determining the missed approach point may be another matter entirely. If you've briefed an ILS but lose the glideslope, you're far better off going missed and rebriefing for the localizer-only procedure, but that's also subjective.
That is clear to me.

If you lose an engine during the approach and that's your only problem, then continuing the approach is appropriate. Do you not have an engine failure during approach checklist?
Yes we do, it directs that the appr may be continued provided the C/L can be accomplished prior to 800 AGL.