PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Border between being assertive or arrogant/rude
Old 11th Jun 2008, 12:34
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's look at this real life scenario. Captain meets his first officer for first time and asks the first officer which leg he would like to fly? F/O shrugs his shoulders and says he doesn't care as long as he gets equal share..

Captain completes fuel figures and shows the total to F/O with the comment "are you happy with these figures?" F/O says no - there is too much fuel. Captain puzzled asks why there is too much fuel aboard. F/O replies that he (F/O) calculates three tonnes less than captain's figures. Captain then points out it is a tankering sector and that is why he has additional fuel aboard. F/O grunts.

Captain gives F/O the leg and during descent it is clear the F/O is behind the profile. Captain suggests F/O should take necessary action to get back on profile asap due getting close to airfield. F/O says he is working on it but does nothing effective except speed up and gain more energy. Captain gets edgy and suggests that best get the landing gear out to create drag. F/O says OK in a minute...Captain exasperated says gear going down NOW and F/O grunts. Aircraft barely attains a stabilised approach by 500 afl. After close down the captain asks the F/O if he would have changed his flight profile earlier given they were high from 10,000 ft downwards. F/O says "if you hadn't bloody interfered with my descent planning we would have made it in OK..."

And that is what happens when CRM becomes the catchword for everything.
So called CRM has destroyed the "old fashioned" good manners and respect that was once a feature of a well run cockpit.
Quite frankly, I couldn't agree more.
Very well said.

First off, I could see a problem from the very first, if I was in the referenced Captain's shoes.
Captain meets his first officer for first time and asks the first officer which leg he would like to fly? F/O shrugs his shoulders and says he doesn't care as long as he gets equal share..
I seems to me that said First Officer has forgotten his manners, and indeed it could also be said that he has just a tad little chip on his shoulders, and this can be further confirmed by...

F/O says "if you hadn't bloody interfered with my descent planning we would have made it in OK..."
Said First Officer clearly has forgotten just whom is in Command, and for those who still might not be sure, it most definitely is not said First Officer.

IF I ever came across an F/O like this, he would be referred to the fleet manager for additional training...and would quite likely receive same, directly from said fleet manager, usually with a suspension from flying duties, and told to go home and not return uintil he finds his manners.