PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meaningless management drivel
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2008, 10:48
chris_tivver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paradigm actually has no place in military terminology and is almost a contradiction of doctrine.

Paradigm, in its original and correct context, is an accepted way of thinking or doing things in a scientific discipline; in an episemological sense, it relates to a school of philosophy dealing with the scope and nature of knowledge ie what is knowledge, how do people develop it, use it etc.

However, the military seems to have adopted the use of paradigm in the sense as defined in the OED - an exemplar or model. Unfortunately, any attempt by any one other than senior officers and doctrine wallahs at Swindon Tech to change the prevailing paradigm is generally met with resistance ie paradigm paralysis. In that sense, the refusal to take on board new ways of doing things without first experiencing them (a posteriori knowledge) rather than developing new ways of doing things through encouraging independent thought (a priori knowledge) at all levels could well be seen as dogmatic. And surely it was hammered home at Sleaford Tech that dogmatic behaviour was not what was required in today's military.

So there you have it. We have lots of paradigms, but unless officially sanctioned by the high paid help, paradigm shifts do not happen, and therefore we, as an institution, must be guilty of being dogmatic. In short, I think that proves that management speak is actually a load of bollocks and has no place in a fighting force that needs to be flexible.
My god thats brilliant. If I understood it I'd use it