PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Return to the Olden Days
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2008, 18:56
orionsbelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mickey

Thanks for your response, a nice surprise.
In answer to your question

When I did my PPl exams in 1967 I think we only did 3 subjects Air Law, Met and Nav. Additionally when did my first IMC test in Sept 79 I did not have to do a theory paper as now. As we were non radio I did not do RT practical until much later.

So 34 years and 1000hrs later after years of small strip operations to be honest my theoretically knowledge was rubbish, I did not know of the existence of human factors and had no concept of A/C performance calculations or any idea of the current PPL exams required at year 2000.

So with the fantastic help of PPSC, I did the old UK CPL national exams (the very last sittings ) which covered 15 subjects in 2 groups. 6 Tech and 9 Nav subjects over a 9 month period studying full time.

1 It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
2 It was the best thing I ever did, really got me up to date and up to speed
3 As all the Instructors were ex Commercial / Airline / Military it developed my attitude from 'small strip' to Professional.
4 It really focused the mind 'do I really want to do this'.

So yes the CPL ground exams gave me the knowledge and confidence to teach all the PPL ground subjects in both formal and informal ground school. Also it gave me the contacts and connections to help me develope as an instructor. I could not have done it as a PPL and in retrospect I think I would have been a very poor instructor.

The CPL flying training really gets you up to speed its a good kick in the right direction.
In my view you cannot instruct in today's environment without this sort of background training.

From my 1500 hrs of instructing maybe only 10% of those people I have trained have the ability to progress onto professional flying and instructing. Very few are going to hang around the PPL world to instruct when they have the ability to progress further.

Mickey I have some mates who are Excellent BCPL instructors as you and if you have the time get yourself up to speed and go for it. I have had a great time but enough is enough