PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2008, 16:27
Neo_RS14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks TelBoy, it's good to be back. I wouldn't desert my colour blind comrades at a time like this....colour blind, who even came up with that damn term...the bad press it gives us is a joke.

Yes, if the FAA were to abolish the tower signal test (even though it's been working fine trouble free for years) then we really are up the creek without a paddle. I can understand them replacing one of their CV tests with the CAD, and still leaving the option open to be tested at the airfield, but to completely abandone that system after all this time without any problem with the pilots who passed it, seems a bit ridiculous. I mean they allowed CVDs unrestricted medicals after passing for a reason, as they are believed to be safe. To suddenly reel in these priveleges, or to just stop offering the test at all seems completely unreasonable, it's taking a step back in time for the FAA surely?

But to be honest, I completely agree with you TelBoy, safety is paramount, and obviously we can all agree on that. I can see the person's point about environmental interference, but surely that can be factored in somehow, e.g. as you said the FAA allow one re-test. LGW is on the doorstep of aviation house too, admittedly it's a busy operation there, and it may be a bit much to expect the folks at the ATC to have to perform these tests for us, but even so, it would not be irrational to arrange a quick test at another airfield.

I'd just like to know why Tower signal testing is not appropriate for the JAA when it works succesfully in the States, what's the difference? They have a huge bustling aviation industry over there, and they are not suffering from the few CVD pilots that are working there professionally...we've not heard a peep from them. As I said, I take that person's point regarding environmental factors but it's not enough to cast out the idea of using the Tower singal test here when it works so well there. In my humble opinion, it demonstates that most pilots with CVD attempting to fly comercially, are actually able to do so safely, OTHERWISE we would have heard about it by now, or the system would have of been revoked.

I just wish I could put together some stats of pilots flying professionally based on a tower signal test pass, I think they would surely speak for themselves.

Last edited by Neo_RS14; 10th Jun 2008 at 16:34. Reason: couple of typos