PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR vs AMS & CDG
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2008, 09:07
Marcel_MPH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR vs AMS & CDG

It's 2008 and pretty much every large international mainport is assessing its future strategy. Although it is common practice, it could be interesting to see the developments of these three airports in particular.

Development of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is subject to many variables of which the dual-hub strategy, or the abandoning of this, could mean major changes in its route network and consequently its international status. In case AF-KLM (better yet Air France) decides to relocate its operations for the greater part to CDG, it could have a major impact on the hub function AMS currently serves.

At the same time London Heathrow is, at least in my opinion, running into trouble with its available capacity (same goes for FRA btw) and additional runway capacity is a requirement to further increase its operations, although I'm amazed about the number of aircraft handled by means of "only" two runways, compared to six @ AMS (yes its six!). Wind conditions are of course limiting operations though this video makes me think the British are just better trained in handling cross-winds

http://www.dutchops.com/Interesting/BA_CROSSWIND.htm

So, its 2020, do we have an even bigger airport just outside London, a world-class dual hub system between AMS and CDG, a regional airfield in the vicinity of Amsterdam, or a combination of the three?