PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crosswind take off
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2008, 03:52
Bubi352

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Examiner

"On this subject of crosswind takeoff or for that matter, crosswind landing.....do simulators the necessary fidelity to realistically simulate a real simulator landing? A pal of mind was up in Korea for a B777 sim training and was failed by the check airman because it was claimed that he had insufficient aileron input for drift correction on take off and residual drift during landing. He maintained that to follow the Korean Alteon recommendation during training, he had to employ almost full aileron into the wind for a 30kts crosswind takeoff!!! I have never seen such a massive aileron input for cosswind takeoffs within aircraft certification limit. Likewise during training for landing with decrabbing, he had to use full cross aileron as opposite rudder input was employed to decrab. In his final check he has used reduced aileron input as he felt pretty uncomfortable with such hefty inputs.......as such he employed a combination of wing low and slight decrab on landing, landing with a small crab angle on touchdown which he subsequently removed upon touchdown. The checker failed him, claiming it was a bad and hard landing even though the sim did not show any indication of hard landing or crash landing! Is the sim so realistic to assess landings like that?"

I have been an examiner in the past and it's always the same story: "The examiner failed me". Yep, it's never "I failed".

Last edited by Bubi352; 10th Jun 2008 at 03:54. Reason: Quote