PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer 50th a few shots...
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 18:42
Snapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nutloose

Nutloose,
apologies for taking an age to reply, I’m in Cape Town.
Thanks for the heads up on the program and no I didn't mind at all.
I appreciate the effort.
However, I must say it all seems VERY alien to me using programs to alter
ones photographs!!! VERY ALIEN indeed!

I come from an era where there was great debate amongst photographers at end of runways or air shows in the skill in choosing
ones film for a particular show or photo shoot etc. Then of course you only had 38 pics (if you loaded the film correctly) and THEN even after taking said pics, you still had the responsibility of deciding WHO was going to develop the film and then what to do with the end result?
What I mean, in the 'olden days' of film and not digital, there was a lot more involved in getting the end result onto a screen or print on the wall!
Today, another skill has taken over, computer skills!

I’ve been using Photoshop for years now and know without doubt I only use a10th of what it’s capable of but that is mainly to make my negative or transparency film acceptable for screen (computer monitor) or for digital printing labs to enlarge prints for customers.

I am sponsored by various brand name companies with kit and to me, the process of scanning a neg or transparency with a scanner was a mission in itself. I gave up long ago
So for me, using Photoshop (or a computer program as you’re suggesting here) was only for removing dust marks post scanning at hi res or making some colour correction etc and that was an accepted part of modern photography in my book! In fact, sometimes, grain added to the atmosphere of the image.

The point I’m making is I’m all for new tech and new toys and digital is AMAZING! (Ive only recently moved over to digital SLR) but I can't help feeling
somewhere that 'something' has been lost with the new era of cameras and photographers that now pursue the 'shot' of a lifetime!
It’s just too easy now! You can make a pigs ear of a shot and as long as it’s reasonably in focus and you’ve taken it at high enough resolution, you can, if you know what you're doing, change so much about the original image its unreal! Then you can reduce it down and down for a computer monitor (72 dpi) and it looks as sharp as a scalpel! Prints are made around 250 dpi and that's when you see how sharp the quality REALLY is?

Guess I’m just not into image manipulation and I stay with what I took on the day! ALL of my Buccaneer images on here (albeit taken 14 years ago) were taken with Fuji 100 asa print film and most with a 500mm mirror lens fixed on f8 at about 90th - 125/sec (if I was lucky with the light )
The aircraft were going a tad fast I recall?

My air to air work was always Fuji 50 or 100 asa transparency (that's not because Fuji sponsor me, it’s because I always used it and think it’s the best colour reproduction) Having said that, it doesn't matter anymore does it?
I look forward to trying out the digital in the air!

Anyway, THANK YOU again for letting me know about the program, I shall, I’m sure take a look and within a short time shall forget my reservations on the whole new digital scene and maximise the ease of the new breed to the fullest!! I do agree, your image after using the program was better than my original!
Brooksy