PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horse Breeder sues MOD over Jets
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 17:52
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a horse has a field in which to run and do its thing when its spooked then what is the issue.

In all the time I have flown over horses low level I have never seen any of them choosing to hit a fence rather than run into the open space of a field. Sounds like a massive mountain out of molehills as usual, I could be wrong but I thought horses enjoyed running

As an aside, wearing fluorescent jacket does not suddenly make horse riders jump out from the surrounding countryside. If riders happen to be behind a ridge, bush, treeline, in dead ground or any other manner of cover then crews are unlikely to see them until its too late.

Crews do have an almost pathological fear of horses and riders that is not helped by irresponsible riders not doing their bit to help things. Crews do indeed try everything in their powers to avoid any kind of conflict with horses (and chicken farms, LFA avoids and several other sensitive areas) as the implications of doing so are huge and are potential career enders.

Please dont start another witch hunt and blame the guys who are doing the flying as they do everything in their power to avoid flying over LFA avoids or sensitive areas.

The best way to try and educate complainers I believe is to get them into the sqn and speak to the guys, get them involved in the planning process including the Vol 3, NOTAMs, LFA avoids, planning docs, LFA bookings, PINS, Royal flights, Wx etc. After they have done this take them flying and let them see first hand how difficult the whole process is.

I would be willing to bet that if you give them one task of identifying an IP, TP or landmark they would not manage that never mind having any chance of seeing a lone horse and rider.

I think the big problem is education and understanding not trying to win an argument about who is right and wrong. The viewpoint of "who will they be shouting on when the hun come over the horizon" doesnt really cut it. The public at large just dont understand the problems we as military aviators face. The only way we will make headway is by opening dialogue and trying to help them to understand.

Anyway thats my 2 pennies worth

HG