PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LARS, Farnborough
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 16:52
DC10RealMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was particularly interested in Drambusters comments with regard to the service that I provide as a London Information FISO. I would agree that all pilots should be fully familar with their intended routing and airspace regulations as per the Air Navigation Order and I include myself in that as an operational pilot. I would like to add however that a least 3-10 times a day there is a pilot who is not aware of the boundaries of controlled airspace or believes that they are able to fly through class A airspace either VFR or/and without a clearance as they are allowed to in their own country. I have had quite a few instances of trying to explain to pilots the differences in law between UK rules and regulations and European/US legislation regarding airspace. I would also like to add that given these circumstances we try to "smooth the path" of those pilots whose knowledge is not as great as Drambusters. I would also add that unlike Farnborough we are a 24 hour a day service although there are occasions particularly at 3 o clock in the morning when I wished that we were not. I use London Information all the time as I am aware of the access to a great deal of weather and other pertinant informtion that they have access to. I would also like to apologise to Drambuster for daring to remind him/her of their legal requirements, but that is part of our instructions and training. I personally have no problems with confirming my intentions to London Information and in turn to the radar controllers towards whose airspace I am heading as they can then aware of my intentions and situational awareness.