PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA withdraw from Open Skies Court Case
Old 9th Jun 2008, 16:16
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK 411a, do I take it then that you oppose the principle of the right of a democratically elected trade union to represent its members in negotiation with a companies management?
You can take it anyway you like, ShortfinalFred, however, that is not at all what I wrote.
What exactly is the "wood for the trees" that we dont see in the airline world?
Speaking of unionized pilots generally, they oftentimes believe that the company is a bottomless money pit, and demand unreasonable salary increases...for example the recent 53% increase that APA proposed.
Now, of course, the AA pilots feel this is justified due to the 'salary givebacks' that they agreed to earlier, however I would maintain that, considering the economic circumstances today, that 53% is totally unrealistic.
15% OK, 53%...out of the question.

What evidence do you have that BALPA, in this case, has ever acted to enrich itself at its members expense? I know of no BA BALPA official who has made a personal financial gain through being a representative.
None whatsoever, as if you care to actually read what I stated...I referred to ALPA, APA etc.
Nothing there in my statement about BALPA in this regard.

As regards Continental, clearly you know very little about the situation..IE; how Continental, after Robert Six passed away, had their collective plate cleaned by UAL...until one guy came along, reorganized the company, and made it into one of the more stable carriers in America (with a considerable amount of cash, as well).
Yes, Lorenzo is vilified by unionized pilots today.
However, if it had not been for Lorenzo's efforts, there would not even be a Continental.
Even ALPA must agree, as they accepted all their previous members back into the fold.

As for what pilots are entitled to...they are entitled to reasonable pay and conditions, but they are most definitely NOT entitled to tell the company how to run the business, where to fly, how much to charge for a ticket...nor anything else, whether pilots think they have a right or not.
BALPA thought otherwise, and was slapped down by the legal process, for want of ready cash.
Get over it, and stick with flying the airplane, not trying to manage the company.

Last edited by 411A; 9th Jun 2008 at 16:34.