PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kuwait Airways LHR-BKK
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 12:17
rungsp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreadful.

Find a.n.other.

We screwed up our flights to Bangkok for our honeymoon and the only availability was with Kuwait.

Picture the sceen on the return flight as the plane went to take off (about 1.00 local time). I'm in a window, over wing, seat.

As plane gets up to speed there is a very loud BANG and flames shoot out of one engine.
The captain slams on the brakes, but evidently realises he is past the braking point, and then suddenly SLAMS on the power on the remaining engines.....the plane crawls into the air and only just clears the fence at the end of the runway.

I swear that we were so low that I could see people looking out of their appartment windows mouthing the Thai equivalent of "What The F**K?"

The captain comes over the speakers in a very "correct" Engish accent.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have experienced a technical problem. We will shortly be jetisoning our fuel and returning to Bangkok International Airport. Please do not worry but be prepared to adopt the Brace Position and to leave the aircraft quickly if directed by your crew. Thank you for flying Kuwait Airways today".

The loudspeakers then reverted to Arabic Language prayers. The two stewardesses I could see were crying with fear. The Arabs were all praying, and the Brits were all saying "I wonder what is the matter, this is really inconvenient" etc

We were stuck in Bangkok for three days with no information. The airline would not allow us phone calls home at their expense (pre mobile days). They said they would fax or call if we suppled the numbers, they lied...they never did.

We were then stuck in Kuwait in a pseudo prison hotel (beyond dreadful) and again no info and blatent lies from any/all airline staff. They threatened us with being stuck there even longer if we dared to complain or contact the British Embassy.

Eventually...no compensation, no goodwill.....and no chance of them ever seeing a £/$/€ of my money, or any of those other passengers too.

ALL the staff we came into contact with were rude, all lied most of the time.

It was a while ago I grant you....but even without our experience the reputation of Kuwait and Kuwaities is not good in the Gulf...and their airline is widely viewed as the worst.