PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how many UK airlines will survive?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 10:58
Loxley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loxley I think your being generous with your list of how many carriers will survive.
Monkeybusiness2, why do you think that? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm genuinely interested why you think any of those airlines might not survive. Although I work in aviation, I don't work with an airline and from seeing your previous post you have worked for BA for 18years so I'm pretty sure you'll know more about it than me

My reasoning was as follows:

BA- It's BA, huge airline, huge market, world famous, just moved into a dedicated Terminal at EGLL.

Virgin- Similar to BA, large well-established airline, world famous with solid customer base.

Flybe- Bit shakier ground but they seem to be picking up the pieces where BA fell down, both domestically and for European routes (in the regions ie Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh etc).

Ryanair- Still filling their aircraft, ok the prices will increase as they adjust for fuel prices but they'll still be cheaper than almost anyone else so people will still use them.

Easyjet- As above but not quite as well positioned.

BMI- Cash rich (so I've been told thanks to a weathy owner). However limited scope for expansion now, especially long haul so maybe a merge with Virgin?

Monarch- Well run, cash rich Swiss owners. Solid airline with a good reputation (for passengers anyway).

Eastern- In a niche market, with relatively cheap to run aircraft with a solid, business customer base. Not only that, a lot of their business is generated by the oil industry, which as we all know is one of the still growing industries at this moment!

The above is based on snippets I've picked up here and there. I could be talking out of my ar$e and happy to be told so!