PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security costs Jobs
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 10:05
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Binghi,

I just crunched some numbers and capital outlay for separate checked and cabin baggage x-rays, ETD machines, walk thru metal detectors, hand wands etc would come out in the vicinity of about $750,000 max. That would be more than sufficient to service one of the regional airports with say 75 to 100 thousand pax/pa. So not taking into account, staff training, wages, security licences, operating costs for equpment etc. You could realistically cover the capital purchase over a 3 year period.

That only applies to a very small number of the total pax in Australia with equipment and staff operating part time. Double the equipment holdings at the same time more than quadrupaling the pax through put operating continuously and the costs would have to come down futher.

I just don't believe the cost is having as much of an effect on the overall ticket price as the airlines would like us to believe.

Kelly,
an ASIC only shows that you have been through a background checking process and then only allows you airside with lawful reason. Yes there are a million and one ways to get airside but doing anything untoward and undetected might be a tad more difficult. And I don't mean sneaking in under the cover of darkness at night to spray graffiti on a locked up aeroplane.