PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1989- Pilots dispute 19 years on
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2008, 06:27
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Was Alex Paterson of the B737 with Australian at the time?

.. the brothers were AN.

Sadly, there is always that small minority of "professionals" that can't move on and let old animosities rest.

Whether animosities persist or not, they ought not to be pursued with vigour in PPRuNe ... the dispute participants will be/are approaching (or already have arrived at) senility and, as individuals, eventually will be long forgotten by the Industry.

Individuals, however, retain the prerogative of choosing with whom they might enjoy a drink ...

The Government/Airlines/Unions were able to do incredible damage to a group and the country.. I am mindful that the pilot group backed off rapidly once it all turned pear shaped .. but the other side would have none of that .. and that action (in my insular view) probably was responsible for the dreadful things which followed ....

This suggests that future pilot groups dare not forget the basic Industrial considerations relevant to the dispute .. lest they be tempted to commit similar acts of stupidity as were demonstrated (on both sides) in the lead up to the 89 stoush and the following six months or so.

If folk are honest .. I suspect that ALL would readily admit that, were the clock wound back with hindsight intact ... it would have been a very different dispute ..

Looking back, now, the whole thing was a disgrace/debacle/disaster regardless of which side ...