PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight worries
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2008, 23:32
niknak
niknak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vino,

a year ago, very good friend and fellow ATCO died of a heart attack just a couple of hours after going off duty.
I had been working with him for the previous two days and on the morning of day of his death.
I noticed that he was making some odd, but not life threatening, tactical decisions and it was only sometime later after consulting colleagues, that he had been doing the same during the week prior to his death.
Being professionals, we all had immediately suggested alternate courses of action which he accepted, but not with his usual good grace, again, this only came to light as a significant factor afterwards.

Robin could easily have died whilst working but because he got an early go that day (two hours early), purely and only because of that, no one flying was directly affected.

Who Sir, are you to ever make such an ill considered judgement or a pathetic assumption, that "age old dramatics of controllers dying in harness through stress and ill health" has never happened?
Unknown to us, that's exactly what Robin was suffering from, and it's what many atcos and pilots have done in the past, do now and will do in the future.

It's not particualrly the fact that I was personally affected that I find offensive (althoough that's bad enough), but it's your cavalier assumptions upon the whole profession which is insulting.
If you have anything about you, the next post you make should be an unreserved apology for your ill mannered comments.