PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2008, 19:34
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Alf, I didn’t mean or suggest using any "special tricks" to shorten a landing distance.
My choice of words was maybe not appropriate, my apology.

The idea was: If you want to meet that figure of 1400 meters Actual Landing Distance extracted from the performance chart (considering the parameters are accurate), you need to be by the book in every aspect, for example crossing the threshold at 50 feet not 100, also being at VLS not VLS + 5 and all the remaining …

I’ve seen you’re interested in that subject, so you know very well that such landing requires first a good preparation and second a stabilized approach.
But to be able to produce a stabilized approach in TUG in these conditions of visibility and tailwind is probably (I think) impossible.

Factored distances are a requirement for good purpose
Absolutely correct !

But … (you know all that but maybe some will be interested to read …) Factored distances Required Landing Distance which include a supplemental 60% factor over Actual Landing Distance exist first for planning purpose (during pre flight preparation), even better if you can still benefit from them once airborne but you don't have that luxury all the time.
That’s why, in flight, we use some In Flight Performance Chart which produce only Actual Landing Distance (No factor No margin NADA just pure performance) That distance is a MINIMUM below which you don’t expect to stop. You can reach that minimum figure only if you’re able to follow the procedure by the book. You’re legal to attempt the landing but in any doubt during the process … just go-around !

For TA390, considering the given parameters as well as the estimated ones, the supplemental factor was below … 20% and that’s without counting the negative slope and the CAUTION "touchdown zones extremely slippery when wet"
It still does not mean it was the reason for the overrun but to me the crew was a bit "optimistic"

Alf, Airbus agrees with all your considerations:
A slippery Rwy is the most common reason for overrun at landing.
The combination of a slippery Rwy and a factor such as tailwind or an increase in approach speed should be avoided
You’re just going a bit strongly on the tailwind factor. The perf chart I have in hand says a correction factor of +20% per 10 kt tailwind on a wet Rwy.