PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2008, 13:36
Pandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LH booking engine

After my monthly rants about LH not loading fares on their booking engine for DXB/BRS/DXB & the consequences for the FRA/BRS/FRA route, I gave it another try today.

At last the fares appear half sensible, about AED4k (£545) instead of AED13+k being shown before.

So ran it against the EK website for LON. For the same dates this came out AED600 (£85) cheaper over LHR/LGW.

The LH website for DXB/LHR/DXB offers AED3130 (£425).

I'm not travelling to UK for a good few months, so I'm purely did this out of academic interest. I just ran the same dates on the same booking engine.

My question to those that know these things is why (when the BRS/FRA/BRS is reportedly doing poorly) is it about £120 cheaper to connect over FRA into LHR rather than over FRA into BRS? If FRA / BRS was booked solid I'd understand but according to what I read on here its not.

Is it because LH have to undercut EK to get connecting business and as there's no NS into BRS they can charge what they like? I assume they know something of the UK's geography, its not that difficult to get a taxi / train / bus or whatever to LHR and its about cost neutral on their fares.

LH isn't my favourite carrier but I would fly them, so why pay the same amount for a long layover at FRA (not top of my list either), longer than a return taxi / car journey to LHR. Zero benefit

What is the thinking behind such a fare structure (or isn't there any)?