PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good aircraft books- what are you reading?
Old 8th Jun 2008, 13:08
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fris B posted:
That's why I'll continue to place more credence on the writings of those who flew with Smithy.
Well that would indicate a bias against any writer who goes to enormous lengths to interview, and quote verbatim, the many people who in this instance not only flew with Smithy, worked on his planes, had smokes cadged by him, but also with several witnesses, deeper insights into the character and personality of the man than the hero worshippers such as Harry Purvis. Not decrying for a moment any of the late Harry's wide accomplishments, but a good judge of character was not one of them. Ask just about anyone who flew in or out of the old strip at the Rock late sixties early seventies and who knew him well.

And that leaves Scotty Allan's "Australia's Flying Scotsman" by Elizabeth Shearman. As George Roberts ("Qantas by George") said to me once when he was looking after Qantas Archives in Coward Street, "Burn it. And if you can't, delete the 'F' in 'Flying' ". I do not think George would object to me repeating his justification for that remark, should I be pressed. But not on a public forum for I respect family sensitivities. Incidentally, I have interviewed Catalina veterans from Rathmines days, when Scotty Allan was the CO, and the sentiments accord closely with George's. Sorry, did not mean to hijack this thread. Now where did I put that copy of "No Man a Hero to his Butler".