PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hoverspeed Pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2001, 19:36
brockenspectre

Rainbow Chaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Airbandathank you!! I knew HoverLloyd had a third craft but couldn't remember the name, Sir Christopher, of course!! In fact it was Sir C whose car deck always smelled the most fumey!! As cabin crew one summer I was also in charge of "bond", ie loading the perfume and duty free alcohol, and had to hang around the car deck a little more than I liked. Of course that meant that I also got to know "flight deck"...hence my previous post about being allowed to take the controls one calm, smooth day in La Manche!! The best fun was "buzzing" ships in the Channel - obviously the Hovercraft as the more manoeuvrable craft went behind any ship but the "flight deck" was my favourite hangout! Crew parties were also fun as we cabin crew were permitted free trips on our days off so we could always get the best and freshest French food and wine...one time I even remember being stopped by Customs (the growly officer) who inspected the stuff I and another crew member were carrying for a party that night (and yes some Customs had been invited!) and made a big fuss - all the day-trip blue-rinse brigade assumed we had been up to no good, the reality? he was just inspecting the food and deciding what he was going to eat that night!!

What memories!! Hovercraft IS the best way to cross the Channel - even on rough days, 35mins of "agony" was a darn sight better than the current endurance on Seacat/Ferry!!

If i become a squillionaire (lottery win yanno) I am definitely going to have a Hovercraft!!!! It is the kewlest mode of transport after Concorde..really!