PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those considering Emirates
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2008, 17:42
kingoftheslipstream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Good, The Bad and The Smugly"

... reckon that could be tha name of this thread!

Well AC, give yerself another few months - it takes about 2 years for an expat to adjust to a new place in my experience. You may find reason to change your mind.

I am a Canuck, and I sure didn't get any hurt feelin's from anything you said in your post. Some nationalities are sure thin skinned... and they sure get on the offensive and off topic when they start playin' that card... sigh.

I hear what you're saying. It's unfortunate for ya personally that ya don't feel things are good fer you here at this time. It is a fact that expat life is not for all folks. It just doesn't sit well with some. You CAN talk frankly to your chief pilot and fleet mangler and see about what kind of consideration you could get if you really have to leave. It's been done before. They aren't completely inhuman.

I agree with most of what you say - some have disagreed with you here but, well, you have the right to your opinion. Most of the defenders of your post are the more articulate bloggers on this site - that says something I reckon.

I reckon what you say is good food for thought fer the newcomers and wannabees to the big sandbox. That's a healthy antidote to the slick advertising, recruitment, and dearth of conventional information about this carrier. Sadly, your painful honesty about not havin' done your homework and learnin' up about the pitfalls of DXB has permitted some posters to instruct you to 'man - up'. I reckon it takes a man to admit his mistake and so good for you.

I do object to the statement, (can't remember who made it), about the dead bodies on the road thing... hell, there's lots worse on television and some kids's video games than what you see in real life here.

It's a fact that some folks are trapped here by things that are a lot more dangerous than what you've said in your sensitive post. Ego, vanity, failure to update on the basis of new information and psychic traps of all sorts... there's all kinds of self deceptions here, just like at home and these all contribute at times to the stuckness that some folks have.

You have the ability to comprehend your surroundings and your situation and see that it's not for you. That's the first step to gettin' yerself out.

Good luck and fly safely.
k-o-t-s