PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects for JAA fATPL in a far away land..
Old 7th Jun 2008, 15:55
Flex_Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Toga! Toga! Toga!

Leeds 1972 – You’re way too concerned about the age thing. I’m 36 in Feb and confident of flying the ATR. Had a look today on Flightglobal.com and theres loads of adverts there. In fact it was seeing them thismorning that the idea came to go far away (its what I do just now, except for 4 month blocks!) might be the thing. I wouldn’t mind doing month about somewhere, there were other adds for 6 weeks on 2 off. Then there was Emirates (Wow! – no problem working for them! [I’ll dream on]). I think you DO care where you end up, we all do, it has a direct bearing on the rest of our lives. So for me, I can (only just) afford the TR myself, so it’s a tossup between the prop, where I might well GET A JOB, or ‘gamble’ a bit more on the jet. Maybe even an airline like Kingfisher that operate the ATR as well as a host of others – if you get your 4,000-5,000 hours perhaps there’d be the opportunity to get a jet rating through them?
‘I've thought many times about just packing it all in, as its my life savings im planning on spending, following my dream.’I’m in exactly the same position as you. And I’ve got a €1600 p/m mortgage. And my missus is 32.
’Yet i've already got a trade and no real chance of going any higher in a job that I really dont enjoy. This is my last chance in following my dream.’I’ve got a trade too, I like it but I’m 6m away a year, and I could climb one more step but don’t want to be like my ‘line manager’!
Mark todays date on the calendar. Order PPL study books. Mark another date 4m hence. That will be the date you have your first licence. (I added in time to study and work and pass your exams before going to US and just nailing the PPL!
MIKECR 2 years is about right I’d say. You’ll see some places advertising 0-F/O in 9m!!! About as likely as building a ship in 4 days – possible, but not at all likely;
Okavango Wouldn’t you get the rating? I think it improves your chances of employment.
CraigyD I did a couple of 10hr blocks in Stapleford. I think its good there – wouldn’t recommend the White House to stay in! Some good instructors. They’re connected with Astraeus, don’t ask me how. And if you can handle Staplefords runway(s) you’re doing fine!
Teeks – Where are you in Antarctica? (So am I!)
Hanlem1 Think the airlines do prefer integrated, but will accept mods.
Pickykxf250 That’s the spirit! Just go for it and be fanatical about it! I feel so glad now I’ve decided to start the ATPLs and sorry I just didn’t do it sooner, I really am.

http://www.skyblueaviation.co.uk/index2.asp?id=455 and download the pdf at the end. It IS all marketing of course but it does seem like a safer bet somehow.
[Excuse length of post, gents]