PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PM vows to 'reward' forces
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2008, 11:14
JackRyan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WorkingHard
Can some kind soul tell us then what you would expect an RAF Flt.Lt to earn gross with or without flying pay as an example and then perhaps we can get a measure of how much more needs to be paid.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ntervenes.html

Soldiers in basic training are paid £12,572 a year, while traffic wardens receive a basic starting salary of around £17,000. More than 20,000 personnel left the Forces last year, many citing the poor salary as their reason.
The Ministry of Defence says that after recent pay rises, most fully-trained soldiers are now paid more than £16,000 and bonuses for serving on the front line in Iraq and Afghanistan can take a private's salary to £22,000.
But Gen Dannatt insisted that more money was needed.
I'm sure most on this board have got two stripes / three pips of some variety and colour, and a set of wings. I'd suggest that although we don't receive civilian levels of pay, it's not too bad and I'm certainly not complaining about myself. I didn't join to get rich (and it certainly isn't happening). What I do wish to complain about is the £12000 starting salary for the privates. Did the Rt Hon Des Browne watch Ross Kemp in Afghanistan? Of course, he was probably putting his secondary duty of the MOD to one side whilst concentrating on his far more important and primary role of being Secretary of State for Scotland.

Nevermind me, £12000 doesn't do our lads justice. I hope you agree.