PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JOBS!!!!!
Thread: JOBS!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2008, 09:46
M80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, going to Africa, is one solution. Would it look good on a CV. Hmmmm. not convinced. Effort spent on how to break through the barriers to get a much sought after position with a UK or European airline is going to say much more about an individuals strength of character, resourcefulness and will power than bush flying.

There is a bloody good reason why the CAA/JAA would have kittens over some of the things you may have done in Africa and this suggests to me a willingness to take undue risk. Something I would not recommend.
Furthering the common misconception that all flying in Africa is inherently dangerous. Here's an insiders scoop. Flying in Africa can be dangerous if you don't rigidly maintain your own personal standards. It is a challenge. Bush flying has taught me much more about flying than any other phase of my career.

'Giraffe clearance' is not something unusual. It is also wise to have knowledge of the heights kudu and impala can jump from a standing start. A few aircraft doing a low pass to clear a runway have found out the hard way that they can leap quite high.

Please, don't perpetuate the misconception that bush pilots are all 'cowboys'. The cowboys and the unfortunate don't last long in this business. Calculating every possible risk and ensuring that you maintain the highest personal standards are what breeds a good pilot here. Those are transferable skills to any sphere of aviation.

I've flown with guys who have learnt "tricks" or said yes to unreasonably risky requests (normally from the CP or Ops manager) and does it make them better pilots? Not in my opinion - all it does is lull them into a false sense of security that they can safely do something which clearly is not safe, and one day that will come back to bite them in the arse.
Yet part of flying is making the hard calls. We all have to make them. You'll have to make them as an FO, perhaps questioning a commanders decision, or as a pilot in any commercial operation. Part and parcel of being pilot in command. And that's the key to flying in Africa - you fly as pilot in command, and you make the calls. The buck stops with you, and the consequences could be grave. So if you have to stand up and refuse a flight, that's your duty.

It's interesting to note that many Brits who come out here don't get along with not having things prepared and organised for them. Here you are dispatch, refueller, loader, flight planner, customer representative, commander and safety officer all in one.

I'm glad it doesn't suit eveyone - the guys who do come and do it, and get on with it are some of the most interesting people I've met - and usually have previous backgrounds rather than "mum and dad funded me through xxxx integrated course."

So, Bush Flying. Don't dismiss it as cowboys. You'll rarely have to make sure that every decision is the absolutely correct one as you have to here in Africa. And finally, bear in mind that we fly clients into bush strips who pay upwards of 450$ a night. There is a lot of money involved in some of these operations, and a track record of incidents would end any of the exclusive agreements lodges, operators and agents have together. I suggest some of you who've posted her try to have an understanding of a subject before posting about it.

Last edited by M80; 7th Jun 2008 at 10:05.