PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LARS, Farnborough
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2008, 21:54
drambuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to various places in Europe and get a FIS which, remarkably, resembles our RIS
Lurking 123 has a good point . . .fly through Germany or France and the FIS service is radar all the way (Germany is particularly brilliant - more like a personal back-up service . . . if only that were the case here!!)

Coming back from a recent trip to Hungary (radar FIS), via Austria (radar FIS), Germany and France (both radar FIS as stated), it was a real let down entering London Information (no radar) to be asked to repeat the standard mantra that "I acknowledge that I will avoid controlled airspace" etc etc. What a load of boll**ks. This is just a stupid sop instigated by their 'health & safety' advisor - but what is the point of this nonsense ?? Either I have prepared properly for the flight and know exactly where I am and what height/route to follow or I am a total imbecile (who forgot to check sufficient fuel for flight, left the gear down, doors open, flys open etc) in which case what the hell does it matter if I confirm back that all will be fine . . . .as i'm going to bust airspace anyway !!

What a pleasure it was to get shot of them just past Lydd and to switch to the new Farnborough East frequency. It may not be nation wide (as it is in the rest of Europe as far as I can tell), but it was a great service gratefully received in v.busy airspace. I vote for them taking over the rest of the country ASAP and confining London Information to the knackers yard.

(but, for the record, I think Scottish Information is just great and would have them as my wing man anytime )

Last edited by drambuster; 7th Jun 2008 at 07:28. Reason: typo