PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tulla to go Cat 3
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2008, 21:06
RodH

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
Some years ago I was part of an A310 that made several Cat111 landings in Luton in the UK over several weeks due to fog .
Taxiing was no problem , the tower sent out a follow me vehicle which guided us to the terminal.
Sure it was slow and we had to wait on the runway for a few minutes but there was no other traffic as not many aircraft were Cat111 authorised nor had Cat111 qualified crew .
We were all Airbus Industrie Flight Instructors so were Cat111 qualifed all of the time as we used to do Crew Qualification check rides and our own recency approaches in the Airbus Sim very often .
It was very exciting doing the first couple of landings and when one eventually sees the white runway lights on either side of the aircraft one starts to relax as you know you are in the middle of the runway at least.
The tower had very little to do with any of it , apart from sending out the follow me vehicle and the usual radio calls .
Very interesting flying.
It would only really be usefull here in Oz for international operators who have regularly qualified crew for Cat 111 , most operators in OZ would find it far too expensive to keep crew qualified for the few times they need it .
Rod H