PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alternative jobs in aviation?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2001, 21:53
BN2A

Talking

STOL,
I take your points, but from what I have seen, it is unlikely that a flying position will be offered to someone who 'pops in to ask'.
I am an experienced skydiver of 600+ jumps, and nearly 8 years in the sport. I am also on the final leg of an integrated flying course to obtain a CPL/IR with Frozen ATPL. I'll be flying B757's in a few months. My intention is to fly 'for fun' as it will be hands on, in elastic band powered aeroplanes.
My view of parachuting has mainly been of 'weekend' centres, which a majority of centres are in this country. I'm hoping to get my hands on an Islander ASAP, but that's down to a 'who I know' situation. The people I may do some flying for have already got pilots (none of which are 'hour builders'), and I do not expect to be flying every time I'm there. I could see anybody unknown to the staff having their request laughed at as they drove home again.. Hence my comments to Taildragger2. I'm sure most weekend centres would have the same situation.
7-day a week centres, (and from your comments STOL, did you fly at a DZ in Kent??) that's another matter. But then most DZ's in this country operate 'Eastern Bloc' aircraft that come with their own crews.
In summary, I think it highly unlikely that a position will be offered to someone who is unknown. BUT, if you don't ask, you don't get. If you DO get, TD2, then enjoy it. It's a great sport to be involved with. Just remember the 'Eight hours bottle to throttle' rule... Skydivers are a notoriously thirsty bunch.