PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hoax ATC Messages
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2001, 20:31
8 miles 24R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All;
In response primarily to DX Wombat, there are many many scanners available on the open market which receive all civil and military aircraft transmissions, all of which, as has been mentioned previously are legal to own without any permit.It is a grey area concerning airband listening.By the letter of the law, yes it is illegal but nobody, including the police or any governing bodies here in the UK act upon said law. I have been led to believe that it is ok to listen but illegal "to act upon information received". I'm sure you are aware that it is also possible to buy or download programs that decode your ACARS transmissions? Ideal for the spotters who like to tie up the flyovers!
As for the brain dead idiots who procure airband transmitting radios and go on to use them, then I would think that £3000.00 is a too light a sentence and a custodial sentence should be considered. It is quite possible to buy said radios on the internet, on the several auction web-sites where I'm sure nobody is being asked for their licences.