PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA-PPL then Hour building in the USA
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2008, 18:55
Xorthis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAA-PPL then Hour building in the USA

I'm an ATPL wannabe right at the start of the training and looking to achieve my ATPL by the modular route (I wish I could afford integrated but I don't have enough equity on my house and there's no mummy/daddy to fall back on! ).

I am looking to complete the PPL+NR then hour build to the required 150 hours in one fell swoop in August/September months by doing one of the intensive courses in America. I have identified a short-list of FTOs that I'm interested in and have sent emails and made some calls to get an idea of what they can offer.

One issue that one FTO has mentioned is that for hour building once I complete the JAA-PPL I'll have to get an instructor to sign off each flight which will cause dispatch delays and restrict my flying to approved airfields. I'll essentially be flying on the instructor's licence.

As a way round this, the FTO suggested that I complete the FAA-PPL to enable myself to fly unrestricted in the US then convert it to a JAA-PPL once I get to 100 hours (Meaning I also skip some of the JAA PPL exams!). I wanted to ask the wise (and not to wise ) people here for their opinion on this.

I am very cautious about the FAA>JAA route however as I plan to fly ultimately in the UK and Europe, so basing my initial training on the FAA PPL and rules seems like a bad idea that could look bad on my CV and also set me up poorly to continue my training through the ATPL exams and then CPL/IR.

So a couple of questions:
1) Is there any other way for hour building in the US on a JAA-PPL that doesn't mean waiting 90 days for licence approval or flying with an instructor's signiture.
2) Am I right in thinking that the FAA>JAA route is a poor idea considering I wish to obtain an ATPL and fly in England in the long run.

Finally does anyone have strong opinions one way or another on training with Anglo-American Aviation in San Diego?

Thanks in advance!