PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Return to the Olden Days
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2008, 13:42
windriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I am fully of the view that the need for a CPL as a formal qualification is way over the top in terms of content we maybe ought to be looking at a more rigorous examination of the PPL level theoretical knowledge requirements as part of the FI course.
Good point... and here perhaps is where we need to start looking for our solutions. The AOPA Ground Instructor Cert (for example) is a rigorous syllabus and an ideal way for prospective PPL Instructors to ease their way into the system, improve standards - and generate new income streams for the Club/School....

I am also of the opinion that anyone doing a job has the right to be paid - why shouldn`t a suitably qualifed PPL instructor be paid to instruct? Payment also enhances status and accountability.

It would be quite simple to invent a "Commercial Classification" on completion of an FIC to satisfy this right to earn.

(I`m an interested observer as I`m considering returning to instructing (did circa 3500 hrs of it until about 15 yrs ago) but well out of the system now... but wont consider it if I can`t be paid to at the very least recoup renewal costs... or if I have to maintain a "Professional" licence.