PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2008, 13:18
Strongresolve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again I must say, that the exact translation of the word that the controler used to alert of runway condition is Damp, he said "pista humeda."
He didnt said wet. "Mojada." o "Contaminada."
I think that this is important because makes the diference between Required Landing Distance in Dry and Wet coditions, and it makes the diference between normal operation and pilot error in calculations of Required Landing Distance.

I dont know if he landed long or short, but the fact is that he pased the camera with three landing gears on the ground, and the reverses didnt were deployed. I´m anoyed about that.

I suppose that everybody affected by TGU closure and Airbus are going to blame the pilot for the accident based in his evaluation of landing runway conditions. Always is easier to blame the usual suspect to calm down the economical repercussions of an airplane crash.
Firsts declarations of the honduran Civil Aviation Authoroties said that the problable cause was a failure of the plane, when the notice about Toncontín closure was know they started to blame the pilot for landing in a wet runway with a lot of tail wind.

In this airport pilots usually prefer to land on the runway 02. For the runway 20 you need a very high rate of descent, and with a MDA of 2700 feet above the runway you dont have a good chance to go in if the day is cloudy. In Circling things are not much better, the turn is to the captains bad side, and you fly closer to the mountains. Another fact is that recomended rate of descents are not published in the VOR/DME App chart for runway 20. The exceed the margin for a stabilished approach.
Runway 02 is safer always, instead of tail wind.

Last edited by Strongresolve; 6th Jun 2008 at 13:30.