PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2008, 13:04
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our procedure was to be fully configured on speed downwind for rwy 02. We rarely did the VorDme 02 approach because we arrived from the north. Occasionally we had to do as they did and go around and fly the 02 approach to descend to 5700 ft instead of 6000 to get below the cloud bases. I don't have any B757 charts since retirement but we landed there at max landing weight a lot when runways were dry because of the high fuel charge there. The wet landing weights were the same on 02 with a 5 knot headwind as landing on 20 with a 5 knot tailwind. I always landed on 20 with any tailwind on 02 because the wind changed a lot at TGU. We routinely taxied to 02 for take off with a 15 knot tailwind and waited for it to drop to what we needed that day depending on weight and temperature. It always worked out fine and 5 or 10 minutes was all it took. I appreciate the transcript of ATC communications. It clears up a lot of unknowns.

We used position 4 autobrakes on every landing there. It works the same as Airbus autobrakes and sets a desceleration rate. However that desceleration rate only applies if the runway conditions allow it to without activating the antiskid system. Reports of braking problems there since resurfacing the runway may play a part in the investigation. Thanks Lemurian. I always appreciated your input even when we didn't agree.