PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Donk Plane with two out
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2008, 02:18
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Man Bands

411A, Surely you do not contend that it is only F/E's who make mistakes. Of course, any F/E who would take it upon himself to "Fire Handle" an engine without (a) being requested to do so, and (b) getting confirmation that he has the applicable "Fire Handle" is out of order. I would suggest that you read the report on the over-run of Bangkok by a Qantas B747-400 to see that it is not only F/E's who screw up. That particular accident was the result of a total lack of planning and lack of communication during the landing and attempted "Go-around" come "Full-stop". There are numerous instances where the PF, whether the Captain or not, has made a mistake which led to the loss of an aircraft and people. Fortunately, we are not robots and are all capable of getting it wrong. To suggest that only the Captain can "save the day" is way out of line, regardless of how many years experience the Captain may have. Believe me, I have flown with some Captains (thankfully very few in number) who give everyone heartburn, not just their fleet manager.