PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 23:25
stilton

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am not saying this is the case in this accident, however there has been a considerable push at my airline (and others I would imagine) to use only idle reverse on landing to 'save fuel and wear and tear on the reversers'

Unfortunately I see this becoming such an ingrained habit, many times I have been in situations where max reverse is appropriate for the conditions, e.g. short, wet, slippery runway and my FO is only using idle reverse.

I prebrief now that in these conditions, as is specified in our flight manual, to use max reverse and get stuck into MAX right away, even so they are hesitant to do so as if they will break something.

This is something I see in both seats, I realize an RTO is a different animal but
that ingrained habit of not using max reverse can be hard to break with for some.

Having 'grown up' on older jets always using max reverse I find it hard to rationalize 'fuel saving and wear and tear' against the possibilty of an overrun.

Long, flat dry runway is one thing, perhaps with noise considerations, otherwise, use EVERY AVAILABLE STOPPING DEVICE.