PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could I Land An Airliner?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 22:54
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dave Incognito

Yes the scenario you construct would be possible, relatively easy in fact. The proviso being that the ILS ground station is of the required standard for an autoland (many are not) and the weather is within autoland limits (ie relatively light winds). however if the person giving the instructions was talking to the hapless soul via the radio that is a different ball game!
Have you ever played that game where you have a simple object drawn on paper in front of you and you have to instruct somebody to draw it without seeing it?

Anybody tried sorting a friends computer problem over the telephone?

It would be interesting to try instructing somebody in a simulator over the radio from outside the simulator.

twistedenginestarter

I am afraid I disagree with your analysis, see last paragraph above.

I don't think anybody is claiming that pilots are above mere mortals but what I generally explain to people is the volume of knowledge and ability takes many years of training, practice and experience. No one area in isolation is particularly difficult in benign weather with a fully serviceable aeroplane. Throw in weather or mechanical problems and it is a different ball game.

This is one of those highly entertaining but actually quite pointless threads!

And the next contributor please...