PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could I Land An Airliner?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2001, 02:41
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Speaking from my experience of running commercial simulator visits for several years you pose an interesting question.

Most visits I ran were in the 747-400 simulator with the occasional 757 or 767.

After a thorough basic briefing followed by some general handling it was possible for most to pull off a landing ranging from good to survivable. However this was with me in the RHS handling the throttles, flaps and gear and making the Flight Director give the appropriate instructions and, usually, talking the visitor through the landing manoeuvre, at least for the first couple of landings.

Most found just handling the control column more than enough to cope with!

Interestingly females with no experience usually pulled off the best landings. My personal feelings are that this was because they listened to what they were told and did not let their ego get in the way! Experienced PPLs understood what was required more readily but a majority did not fair much better than someone with no previous experience.

I believe that whatever the visitors background most had an enjoyable time but in answer to the question you pose I doubt that it is possible, anymore than I could land the Space Shuttle despite having 20 years experience on aircraft up to 400 tonnes MTOW.

As an aside Kai Tak on a nice day was very enjoyable to fly into but in poor weather could be very different!