PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Return to the Olden Days
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 20:48
SOTV
Wotmesir?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK.

For a living I instruct ab-initio train drivers and I fly for fun. There are many drivers in my company with equivalent or better knowledge than I have but not that many that can instruct to the same standard.

Flying/driving needs the underpinning of a thorough knowledge and understanding of your subject. This is required for the safe and efficient operation of your job. However, instructing needs an empathy towards and an appreciation of your student/trainees needs and the ability to transfer that knowledge to a nervous student/trainee. Having seen both sides of this equation I can say that a 10000 hr retired long haul captain can be a worse instructor than a 300 hr wannabe if he lacks the ability to go back to very basics. It can be very hard to do this, to concentrate on the basics.

I know this will be difficult for very experienced people to take but hours spent behind the mast does not equate to good instructional skills.

Perhaps the airline industry has the same system as us. Newly qualified drivers need to spend 450 hours driving with one of the above 10000 hr drivers who acts as a supervisor (no instructing, just mentoring) before he goes solo.