PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 16:27
NARVAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DREAMLAND:RWA, In a crosswind condition, I fly this airplane as if it were a DHC-2 on floats, a little rudder pressure and lower the wing, the upwind MLG gently touching down, all well under control, where one must be careful is landing in extreme and gusty crosswinds as often seen in Funchael, Madeira Island, it's easy to get a wingtip and or donk this situation, better served to use a runway more in line with the wind or divert.
I could not agree more! And the A320 family (with a little extra caution for the A321 which I found sometimes unpredictable during the flare) has a characteristic: the less you touch the stick, the better the approach. At the beginning we have an urge to "overpilot it" if that is the right word. But in gusty weather, don't touch it, a wing lifted by turbulence will settle back exactly where it was before, only slight corrections to keep the axis are needed, do not look at the stupid speed trend(oversensitive) jumping all over the place and it will be a gentle approach. If you look at the videos (Airbus, crosswind etc...on Utube) of the demonstration flights including the A380 in Iceland, with 40 knots crosswind, the test pilot keeps the crab with horizontal wings until the very last moment, than just pushes the rudder...No fighting with the plane...