PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 15:14
airfoilmod

iceman50

I merely meant that a snapshot of attitude doesn't inform the non-flying Pilot of the most recent History of the Flight Path. Basically you may be called on to recover from an unusual attitude not knowing if a Roll was gust driven or pilot induced (input). If, as A/C is Rolling left, you assume a crosswind, your Roll right (after taking control, again, without knowing the immediate cause), your continued input is based on what you guess is the cause, you may overcorrect. What if the Roll was control induced and the crosswind is calm? If you make corrections based on a delay you are close to PIO in my opinion. With an A/C that "thinks" you have a third "Pilot" to consider. Why induce an additional "thought Path" into a dicey mash? Why not fly a "dumb" A/C that responds instantly and mechanically to input? Yoke movement is a redundant call out; instantaneous, un-biased, and free of "interpretation" and software. It is precisely, exactly, "communication", an aspect of CRM that some don't or won't acknowledge. "Rolling Right", nose Down, Back, End Roll, Nose Up, etc. As an AB Pilot, you must wait for the A/C to notify you of its "condition" rather than know ahead of time by seeing the "command".

If my post offended you, I do Apologize, but I stand by my conclusions about moving redundant Flight Controls.

Airfoil

Last edited by airfoilmod; 5th Jun 2008 at 15:50.