PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 270KT outer speed limit for london TMA
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 15:08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reducing emissions is all very well and good but i can't see how it'll save holding time. Instead of all the inbounds arriving at the holds at 300kts at the same time they will all arrive at the same time at 270kts. If they are all arriving at the same time how does it reduce holding?

At the end of the day it's all about reducing fuel costs and burn, nowt to do with CO2 emissions, the fact that they may reduce is a bonus that the airlines and NATS will be able to trumpet later on when they announce their save the planet scheme.

If certain airlines want their pilots to fly more economically then thats fine i will accomodate them aslong as they let me know. But i'm an ATCO not a pilot, its not for me to impose a descent speed on an aircraft when its not for streaming purposes. I'll leave the flying to the guys in the cockpit thanks. I'll stop them from getting too close and to do that i need all the tools that i can get, having a imposed speed restriction (cos thats what it will turn into) reduces the amount of flexibility that i have.