PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 14:55
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dream Land
An experienced pilot doesn't necessarily require a moving control yoke in their hand to be ahead of a new pilot provided you don't put that student in a situation over his or her head to begin with, I feel in complete control with my hand guarding the joystick and red button as you feel with your yoke, how do I know what the control inputs are, by years of experience.

A lot of people putting emphasis on the control inputs, I'm afraid this point isn't compromising flight safety in my opinion, when the aircraft is close to the ground, my focus of attention is simply the trajectory of the aircraft, I am fully following on the rudders for the simple reason that I am fully responsible for the outcome of the landing.
Do you know that trajectory is usually a result of earlier control input and / or external interferences ?
So why not stay one step ahead ?
Why a new technology should deprive us from such live and vital information ?
Because Bernard Ziegler thought it was not necessary ?

But you pretend that ‘years of experience’ provide you with the FP control inputs knowledge … I really don’t see how and you remain pretty secretive on that but if you’re ready to share … PLEASE DO !
I’m afraid I’ll have to retire before I discover that enigma on my own.

Put the HAM case in a Airbus 310 and there was no restriction as long as CAPT was able to confirm that the adjustment was done at the proper time in the proper direction and with the appropriate amplitude.
Monitoring and supervision at their best

But your only cure is: “the captain (or most experienced) should be the handling pilot”
You put here your finger on the point and indirectly acknowledge the following:
FBW Airbus pilots must know supervision is restricted compared to all other technologies, therefore, the Pilot in COMMAND should act in consequence ...

It does not mean FBW Airbus tech is crap, VERY far from that, it just means it does not allow the same level of crew interaction therefore the same level of supervision.

No change to this earlier post

Have a look also to that one

I simply don't agree that the technology limits my ability for monitoring pilots, I haven't seen it
Dream Land, could it simply be you haven’t seen it … YET !?

Many airliners are born since the eighties and none of them has yet replicated the Airbus sidestick architecture and / or philosophy … maybe the next Bombardier, let’s wait and see ?