PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Vision (eyesight) ... My dream
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 13:05
Flopt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool eyesight

wwejosh,

6/9 and 6/12 would usualy need -0.75 and -1.00 to correct if simple shortsightedness is the problem [i.e. no astigmatism ]. This is at the low end of the scale .i.e. not needing a 'strong' correction.....and from memory would still pass the requirements for a private licence without spex.

For a CPL a minimum 6/9 is needed in the worse eye [again from memory].

However at 16 years of age shortsighted people tend to progress a bit till the mid 20s. [i.e. -2.25 and 6/36 approx.] Often this stabilizes, but occassionally could keep progressing esp. if parents are s/sighted .

Don't forget that if you need to wear spex ,a spare pair is required to be carried while exercising the priviliges of your licence.

Lasik surgery could be a consideration after 21yrs of age and if Rx has been stable for 2yrs,and most of the time gets excellent results ,but we see the odd duds!

Contact lenses occasionally have comfort issues but are generally well tolerated. Hygene is of the utmost importance .

Spectacles should be light ,comfortable and have thin flexible sides if you are wearing a headset.

Flopt [CPL,optometrist]