PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most protracted PPL ever?........
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2008, 12:28
kevmusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A milestone and a touch of rustiness.........

First solo navex last Thursday (29th June). Weather was good and I was primed for Headcorn - Deanland - Rye - Headcorn. Must admit to a few butterflies before this one. But as ever, Bruce's confidence in me to do something was sufficient to make me believe that I can do it, and all qualms were set aside. I am enjoying the now-familiar feeling of getting the aircraft ready on my own. I know that my peace of mind and my safety will depend alone on my pre-flight checks and that lends a certain frisson to proceedings.

The main part of the flight itself was uneventful, to the point that even the forecast wind vector behaved itself. Which is a bit of a pity really, because I didn't get to practise corrections. Nevertheless, all landmarks and turning points came up on the nose when expected and it was all very satisfying.

Got back in the circuit and settled down as downwind no.2 to another Cessna. Yet another Cessna arrived behind me. And so I trundled on, and for some reason, went quite wide before turning base. That was just as well because we didn't seem to be descending. By the time I turned final I was still at 900'! How some about flap then, Kev? . In short order! Two stages. Down we came with just a dribble of power and the picture started looking a lot better. Chap behind me called, 'G-XXXX final; prepared to go around'. I guess my wide base had brought him a little closer to me. I ended up dropping into the field with a rather steeper descent than I was prepared for and ballooned a little on the flare, but I sorted it out and kissed the grass nicely - eventually! And I thought to gently turn through the markers to get off the runway sharpish for the benefit of the chap behind me.

So, I was pleased with the navex itself but a little alarmed that a few weeks off had made me forget to add flap when reducing power and speed at the start of base leg.

Today's lesson was a dual and some more work on diversions. Lovely day, great vis., no wind. First diversion I chose a point rather too close and pressurised myself. For the next two, I elected to divert from points 6 or 7 miles away which gave me much more time. Managed much better with all my pens and pencils this time, too. I do find it incredible that nav tasks in most trainers are accomplished by means of a juggling act of clipboard, chart and assorted pens, rulers and pencils, all on a small area of lap!

Another solo navex next week.